Dr Berios may perform a physical examination, including a breast and pelvic examination. If you have not done a recent Pap Smear – this may be done as well.
What is Dr Berios testing for?
Dr Berios will check for the following:
- The right balance of hormones to allow for egg and sperm development.
- A healthy mature female egg and whether regular ovulation takes place.
- A functioning reproductive tract (uterus and fallopian tubes), which allows for the egg and sperm to meet and for the egg to be fertilized.
- The ability of the female body to allow for implantation of an embryo and to maintain and nourish the embryo.
COMMON TESTS THAT MAY BE PERFORMED
Blood Tests – hormonal functions, checking for ovarian functions, thyroid and pituitary function.
Ultrasound Scan (Transvaginal Ultrasound) – to observe the following:
- Ovarian cysts or Endometrioma (endometriosis in the ovary)
- The thickness of the lining of uterus and is the uterus responding to hormone production
- The size of the ovaries and number of follicles present
- To check the size and position of the uterus
- To exclude presence of Fibroids
Hysterosalpingogram (HSG) – This is a procedure in which a dye is injected into the uterine cavity. X-rays are then used to visualize the uterus and the fallopian tubes to determine if any blockages of the tubes are present.
Laparoscopy – A small telescopic instrument is inserted through an incision in the navel to examine the areas around the woman’s uterus and the fallopian tubes. This procedure is done under general anaesthetic and gives Dr Berios a lot of good, valid information.
Once all the diagnostic tests have been completed, Dr Berios will have a better idea of what is causing your fertility problems.